Thursday, October 22, 2009

Adventure of a lifetime?

People back in the States frequently tell me, "Wow! You must be having the adventure of a lifetime!" And in a way, they're right: I've rafted the Nile. I've slept on the Serengeti Plains. I've danced to traditional Zambian instruments. I've swum under waterfalls. I've greeted and sang and made a fool of myself in more languages than I can remember.

But a lot of the time, life is just life. I do dishes and I sort library books and I interact with houseworkers and guards and children. I make sure the water filter stays filled. I teach math and grammar and reading to bright, hard-headed students. I oversleep. I pray for the sick children of my friends. I spend too much time on Facebook. I bake with Blue Band instead of butter and wish I could get good raspberry jam.

And that's okay.

No comments: