Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ugandalish quiz, pt. 2

(If you live or have ever lived in Uganda, please don't answer!)

Here are a few snippets of Ugandan English I've heard this week. See if you can guess what they mean:

1. I was trying to revise my daughter.
a. I was helping my daughter study.
b. I wanted to change my daughter's mind about something.
c. I was helping my daughter move out.

2. Will you give me a push?
a. May I borrow some money?
b. Will you help me start my car?
c. Will you walk partway with me?

3. I need a short call.
a. I need the bathroom.
b. I need to use the phone.
c. I need to talk to you briefly.

3 comments:

shannon said...

my guess: c, c, a.
Although, I would have thought that the answer to "revise my daughter" referred to a change in her clothing choices! ;)
Hope you are doing well.
Jonathanish current terms:
Mommee-ommee-ommee
Bah-BEE
mmmroooo
uh-huh!
ooh=ooh-ah-ah
Rara
(translations:
mommy, ball, car/cow, yes (oh yes please I really want it), monkey, brianna)
:)

emily said...

Here are the answers:
1-a (This comes from the British meaning of the word "revise" meaning "review" or "study.")
2-c
3-a

The scores are as follows:
Shannon - 2
Dad - 1
Aunt Amy - 1
Ashleigh - 1

Good job, everyone!

shannon said...

I win I win I win !!!!!!!
:)
It's the little joys in life.

:)