Thursday, June 2, 2011

To God Be the Glory

You can’t spend too long in Africa, I think, without coming to the realization that the powers of darkness are very, very real. And yet as a Christian, you can’t spend too long in Africa without realizing that God’s power is far greater than the power of darkness.

A year ago, I prayed as a form of communion with God, but I rarely prayed for anything. I believed He could answer my prayers if He wanted to, but I figured He was pretty much going to do what He saw best, anyway.

But in the past year, I have seen some of the tragedy of human life in a way I have never seen it before. I have fallen to my knees in anguish, begging God to comfort, to heal, to rebuke, and to forgive. And I have seen God’s power change lives in miraculous and startling ways.

I have found that Christ’s love transcends all boundaries. I have found myself teaching God’s Word with passion that could never have originated with me. I have found that the Holy Spirit can and will guide my prayers, my words, and my actions.

A few days ago I was praying with a friend, one of the youth girls. I prayed against slanderous words that have been spoken about her. And I found myself praying, “God, if anyone wants to speak hurtful or untrue things, may that person find his or her lips stuck together!” I would never have had the courage to pray with such boldness before coming to Uganda. God has worked mightily on my heart in the past two years.

I say none of this to brag. I came to Uganda to be an English teacher. I’ve done that, and I’ve loved it. But so much of the work God had in mind for me, I never would have anticipated. To God be the glory.

No comments: