Friday, September 25, 2009

Feel free to laugh at me for this. I did.

Yesterday I had what I think is best described as a culture-shock day.

Last night, I was sitting in the living room talking to Joanna on gmail chat, and I kept hearing a click-click-click noise. At first I thought it was the fan blowing things across the reed mat.

But then I saw it.

The demon scorpion spider of doom.

You might think I'm exaggerating a bit. But you'd be wrong. In Zambia they're called rain spiders. I'm not sure what they're called here. Whatever they are, they're about two inches in diameter (not including legs), dark brown, speedy little buggers. And they are nigh impossible to kill. Even if you're fast enough to get to it and hit it, I swear to you that it has some sort of armor. Spiders are not supposed to have hard exoskeletons, but somehow these do. You can whack them with a shoe, and they hardly seem to notice. You have to truly beat them in order to kill them.

Now, I'm not easily freaked out by creepy-crawly things. I can handle the daddy long-legs-looking spider that lives in my bathroom. I can handle wall spiders. I can even handle the itty-bitty jumping spiders that pop out of nowhere.

What I can not handle is a spider that makes clack-clack-clack noises as it runs across my living room floor. But spiders are not supposed to clack-clack-clack. Just like spiders are not supposed to have hard exoskeletons. If it were just a slight rustling, shuffling sort of noise, I could forgive it. I cannot forgive a spider that clack-clack-clacks across my living room and clack-clack-clacks under the couch where I am sitting.

So I hurried to bed not long after that, eager for the protection of my mosquito net. But as I was changing into my pajamas, I heard a faint "meow!" And then again, but more distressed, "Meooooow!" I looked around the room. I saw no cat. I continued about my business. But there it was again: "Meeeoooooow!"

We have been trying to train Chi to be an outside cat ever since I've been here -- I'm allergic to him, and none of us particularly like him. But, well, he's not the brightest kitty in the litter, I'm afraid, and he's previously been spoiled, so the training hasn't gone so well. Lately he's taken to hiding in odd places -- the school library, the teacher workroom, the bathtub -- and getting locked in until someone discovers him many hours later.

His newest hiding place? ... My underwear drawer.

We've decided that the cat needs to find a new home.





Now, neither of these two incidents is really a big deal. And I know that. But somehow, some days, everything is a big deal, and yesterday was one of them. This is, of course, a sign of mild culture shock, and I know that, too. And today I can laugh about it. But sometimes it's just the little things that are frustrating, you know?

8 comments:

Grandmother Jeanie said...

Well, as you can imagine, I didn't exactly laugh! I would have been so shocked by this particular bit of culture that I would have been on the first fast or slow boat to China or somewhere before bedtime. You are a brave girl (grandmothers are surely privileged to use this term) to do such battle in the name of commitment!

Did you know your Mom was also allergic to cats (and much less tolerant of creepy crawlies)?

Love you, Little One,
Grandmother Jeanie

Grandmother Jeanie said...

P.S. Great phrase: "Not the brightest kitty in the litter."

emily said...

Well, Chi now has a new home -- Jimmy, one of our guards, took him out to the village over the weekend. And I haven't seen any more demon spiders this week. But yeah, all around less culture-shock the last couple of days. :)

Swapna said...

OK I'm a nerd and I must know what this spider is. Did it look like any of these? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider ; http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/arachnids/spiders/sparassidae/palystes.htm (it's all the same family of spider, but different species)

They all look pretty scary and gigantic! Eek! There was even a website with a video of it moving, but I was sad that they put music to it... Couldn't listen for any clack-clack-clacking...

Keep being brave in the face of spiders!

emily said...

Swapna, if I didn't love you, I would not have looked at all of those photos.

Anyway, I think it looks most like the Palystes castaneus, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll take a picture if I see one again ... but most likely I'll be either running away or trying to kill it. :-P

Shannon Reads said...

AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Spiders should NOT be available to play percussion!!!!!!
(though if you can hand them small hammers perhaps they can mend the roof?)

Anonymous said...

You are SOOOOO much braver than I am. Of course, that's always been true! I hate all spiders, but man!

Love you,
Aunt Amy

Linda said...

Hang in there dear! We had spiders in Ghana that always looked as if they had already been squashed - until they started scurrying across the wall (zombie spiders?)! Seems you may have them too. And this percussion guy sounds truly obnoxious.