Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mzungu! How are you?

“Mzungu” is Swahili for “foreigner.” Children call it out with amusement when they see me out running. Merchants yell it to call my attention to their wares in the marketplace. Fellow mzungu use it ironically when talking about the strange things we mzungu women do – like stop the car to get a newborn baby goat out of the middle of the road:

Saturday afternoon I went with Joan, a friend from the youth group, to a waterfall partway up Mount Wanale. On our way we passed through several villages on the outskirts of Mbale. Mzungu don’t wander up that direction very often, so we attracted a good bit of attention. English is taught in schools here, but all the English some of the smaller children seem to know is, “How are you?” So as we walked through the villages, children would call to me, “Mzungu! How are you?” They trailed after us like I was the Pied Piper all the way up to the falls, and when I got my camera out, crowded around with a mixture of eagerness, shyness and, fear.

All in all, I frequently feel like I’m going to be the subject of some small child’s dinnertime conversation.

4 comments:

Nathan Shank said...

(I didn't even know you played the pipe.)

You're d'bomb. Keep it up. I'm praying for you.

Roger said...

So the small amount of Swahili you know will be useful.

Mumsy said...

You can imagine the attention we received in Tanzania with two Mzungu children! We joked on the train about how the Mzumngu Zoo had arrived, as the people ran up to look at us in our cage.

Grandmother Jeanie said...

Hi, Emily!

Q: Why did the baby goat cross the road?
A: So he could NOT get to the other side. (It's more fun to ride in the arms of some friendly Mzungu.)

You may be destined to be a Pied Piper all your life. You started pretty early.

I love the pictures and the tales of some of your adventures.

I tried to post this a few days ago and got discouraged trying to make my Google password work. Think I have it figured out now.

Love you!
Grandmother Jeanie